The U.S. Debit Card is a versatile financial product that enables federal agencies to make non-benefit federal payments to recipients through a magnetic-stripe, chip-enabled prepaid debit card. It provides an electronic alternative to checks, drafts and cash for recurring or nonrecurring payments.
The card can improve program management for a wide range of payment types, from travel to vendor payments. Strict management controls and powerful reporting give program administrators the ability to easily distribute funds while cardholders enjoy simple and convenient access to their payment. Your agency may load the card with an amount and reload it if you need to make multiple payments to the payee.
The U.S. Debit Card program is a complete financial management solution that enhances an agency’s financial control through immediate payment options, auditing and spending reports, and fraud protection1. The program reduces agency dependence on cash and checks, supports the Paperwork Reduction Act, and reduces funds held outside the U.S. Treasury. Standard card program implementation, with training, takes 60-90 days. During this time, your agency will work closely with an experienced and dedicated team of professionals to ensure a satisfactory roll-out.
Various agencies are currently using the U.S. Debit Card in 40+ programs for:
- Stipends, awards, and grants
- Imprest funds and third-party drafts replacement
- Miscellaneous vendor payments
- Travel payments to local visitors and international guests
Card Features and More
- Cards can be used to access funds in local currency at hundreds of thousands ATMs, including approximately 56,000 surcharge-free ATMs
- Cards can be branded to use anywhere Visa® debit cards are accepted, or limited to specific merchant categories
- Cardholders can select a Personal Identification Number (PIN) to protect against theft
- Cards are fully Reg E compliant
- Cards are FDIC protected
- Your agency can choose to instantly issue cards for immediate distribution
- Money can be loaded online for real-time funding on a single card or multiple cards simultaneously
- Customer service is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week